The Orchid

The Orchid

Sunday, 5 February 2017

Weekly Reading Challenge - Flawed by Cecelia Ahern

I have set myself the challenge of reading a new book a week. This was something I used to do routinely, but with a busy life, my reading has taken a back step. And I miss it! So, I am going to read and review one book a week for the next two months. The first book, is Flawed by Cecelia Ahern.


Flawed by Cecelia Ahern


This is the first book in my new reading challenge. I enjoyed both Hunger Games and Divergent, so I was interested to read a new dystopian novel by an established adult writer.

Flawed introduced the character of Celestine North, who lives in a society where mistakes and non-adherence results in the person being found guilty of being Flawed. This life destroying sentence results in the perpetrator not only being branded, in a frightening medieval throw-back, but also subject to total control by whistleblowers.

After an incident on a bus, Celestine is found guilty of five Flaws, which results in the highest number of brandings ever issued.  

I enjoyed this book, in fact read it in one night. It is a lighter style of fiction than other dystopian works and is, I suspect, aimed at teenage girls.  The character of Celestine was well drawn, showing both her fears and her courage. I also like the change to her mother’s character, who horrified by the sentence her daughter endured, became her greatest ally.

 By contrast, her father was only lightly touched on and I felt her grandfather’s motivation could have been explored deeper. The world created is a realistic one, more like 1984 than the Hunger Games. An adaption of the society we already live in.

 Overall, I thought this was a thought provoking book that whilst lacking the depth of similar works, is an excellent introduction to the genre.

Flawed is available from Amazon for £4.49. I purchased and paid for my own copy.

If you read have this book, leave your own comments below, or suggestions of books I can add to the growing To Be Read pile!

No comments:

Post a Comment